Using VSTs with REAPER
VST instruments (VSTi) can be used with REAPER by following these steps:
- Create a new track.
- Click on "fx" to open the FX window.
- Click on "Add". REAPER will scan the VST directory listed in "Preferences (Ctrl+P) > FX Plug-ins > VST plug-ins" and display a list of the available plugins.
- Select a plugin and click "OK". REAPER will load the selected plugin into the FX chain.
- Close the FX window.
- Right-click on the Record button and select a MIDI input (MIDI devices are set in "Preferences > Audio > MIDI").
- Record-arm the track by clicking on the Record button.
- Click on the speaker icon to select Input monitoring.
- Play something from your MIDI keyboard to make sure you are receiving MIDI correctly.
- Press the Record button on the transport to start recording.
- When you have finished recording, press the Stop button. A window will pop-up asking if you wish to save or delete the recording.
- Assuming you've just recorded an awesome take, select "Save all".
- Click the Record button to dis-arm the track.
- Press Play to listen to your recording.
- Repeat at will.
To use a VST effect, follow steps 1 to 5 of the same procedure. If you wish to use VST effects on an existing track, omit step 1.